How to make the most amazing cupcakes in the universe!! I have searched far and wide, tried countless recipes, mixed batch after batch of chocolate batter in the quest for the PERFECT chocolate cupcake. After years of experimenting I can confidently announce that I have now found the most amazing cupcake recipe EVER!! This is a fudgey chocolate cake, it has body, it is rich and moreish and a bit chewy… if you want a fluffy light chocolate cake this is not for you. This recipe is my ‘go to’ recipe for cupcakes and it is soooo easy, no heating ingredients in a saucepan, no getting the eggs to room temperature, no coffee added, nothing about this recipe is finicky or delicate, it JUST works! You know those days when you wake up overcome with the desire to make a batch of cupcakes? I know you do 😉 well… this recipe uses all the staples, you can whip up a batch on a whim while you’re still in your dressing gown… no need to go without chocolate cupcakes FOR ONE SINGLE DAY! I made these adorable Queen of Heart cupcakes and some Oreo cupcakes (pictured below) out of the same batch of batter. It goes a long way, and these are large cupcakes too… anything smaller and you’re just left feeling hungry haha. All you need is one mixing bowl, hear that, ONE mixing bowl Now you know why I call them HEAVENLY cupcakes 😉
To achieve the Queen of Heart cupcake you can make the little heart toppers and heart confetti out of red fondant mixed with tylose, or red gum paste, so it hardens up. I have used chocolate fudge buttercream for the topping and I can give you the recipe to that if you are interested… make a comment on this post if you are interested.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (not essence)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 180*C (350*F).
- In your mixing bowl with a paddle attachment, mix together all your dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Remove mixing bowl from mixer and stir in the boiling water.
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter – see picture for guide.
- Bake cupcakes for approximately 18-22 minutes depending on the size you are making
- Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
If you enjoyed this post let me know by dropping me a comment below, tell me how your cupcakes turned out, ask me any questions, or just say ‘G’day’