Every year under the magnificent Jacaranda tree…
Late October, early November, Sydney turns on the most magnificent display of Jacaranda fantastica… that’s its official name 😉 Fluffy clouds of purple petals set against the blue sky, purple carpets cover the ground, delicate purple rain falling on your shoulders, its like a lil’ bit of heaven on earth it is. As legend has it, every time a baby was born in our suburb a Jacaranda tree was given to the family to plant in their yard. That’s a lotta babies! This makes our suburb a burst of purple extravaganza. It’s breathtaking!
The tree in our front yard provides a perfect canopy for an extravagant tea party, it is so huge and deep in purple colour that it was featured on a postage stamp about 50 years ago… true story! one of our local residents told us.. so it must be true!!
To mark this occasion we all gather under the Jacaranda each year to celebrate many things… life, love, laughter, family, friends and loved ones no longer with us, oh and cake, lots and lots of cake, purple cakes, cheesecakes, fancy cup cakes, sponge cakes, fruit cakes, cake, cake and more cake. We have tea in silver tea pots, floral tea pots, vintage tea pots and we speak from the heart as the purple flowers drop gently into our tea hahaha…. and all wear PURPLE!!!!!
This particular year I made a jacaranda cake, I played around with my sugar paste until I created a flower that resembled a Jacaranda flower and then I made about 30 of them and piled them high on a purple fondant covered cake. The cake was a 2 layer moist hummingbird cake with cinnamon buttercream filling, surrounded by Persian fairy floss… it was so pretty on the table.
I also made a gluten free sponge cake for the ceoliacs amongst us filled with strawberries and cream and a mixture of individually designed cupcakes for the young at heart… who me? Ooooo don’t mind if I do 😉
If you want to recreate the look you will need:
- A large table set up underneath a flowering Jacaranda tree
- White table cloth with a mauve/lilac overlay or runner
- Floral teapots.. they can be a variety of patterns but make sure the colours are in the purple family
- All your silver ware, especially silver teapots (we had 3 on the go), silver trays, crystal water jugs and glasses
- Teacups and saucers, its good to have a variety of designs but keep with the colour theme
- Purple, lilac and pink flowers on the table, like irises, hydrangeas, lisianthus, tulips, in crystal vases
- 2 feature cakes on cake stands, 3 tiered stands filled with cupcakes, fruit platter with berries galore, cheesecake, biscotti, lollies, other delights for vegans and coeliacs, and a cheese platter with grapes and dried fruits
- Champagne of course and other cold drinks
- Linen napkins or patterned paper ones would work too
- A purple dress code
Eat – Celebrate – Enjoy
Wow this cake looks amazing!
google apps for education says
Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon every day.
It’s always useful to read content from other authors
and practice a little something from other websites.
As I site owner I believe the articles material here is definitely wonderful.
I visited plenty of site however I this one this one holds lots of informative things.
aamt certified transcription program online says